TagsAAHA Allergies Animal Shelter Anniversary AVMA Bee Sting Cat Friendly Practice Cats CatVets Contest Costume Dental dental cleaning dental health dental month dog training Ear infection Events Fireworks Halloween Healthy Heartworm Heat Stroke Hyperthermia Infection kong Online Pharmacies Parasites Party Pet Food Pet Safety Preventative Care Rabies Vaccination Remodel Responsible Pet Ownership RVT September surgery Tech Thyroid Ticks VCAS Vet Tech Wheel of Paw-some Wisdom Panel
Saturday, April 22 2017 Canine influenza H3N2, or dog flu, has recently been confirmed in Los Angeles county in the Sherman Oaks area. In consequence, 35 dogs in the county have been placed under quarantine so far this month. Canine influenza is highly contagious. It can be spread by direct contact, through the air when contaminated dogs cough or sneeze, and/or from contact with contaminated objects. Dogs who are infected can be contagious for up to 30 days and the virus typically lives for 1-2 days outside of a host. Symptoms include fever, coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, loss of appetite, and lack of energy. Dog flu can also cause illness in cats who usually show signs of coughing, sneezing, and discharge from the eyes and nose. There is currently no vaccination for cats.
Saturday, April 01 2017 Mosquitoes transmit life-threatening heartworm disease to dogs and cats. They are generally known to carry a variety of serious diseases but which mosquito species are prevalent in our community and what does this mean for the safety of our pets? Ventura County is typically home to 15 common species of mosquitoes. Of these, the species Aedes sierrensis, or Western Treehole Mosquito, is known to carry heartworm disease. These mosquitoes reside in water-filled tree holes or containers and are highly adaptable to varying weather and feeding conditions. Los Angeles County is also home to the Western Treehole Mosquito in addition to the heartworm-carrying Aedes notoscriptus species. Also known as the Australian Backyard Mosquito, this species thrives in water-filled containers in urban environments.
Sunday, March 19 2017 In honor of National Poison Prevention Week (March 19th-25th) we decided to poll our staff for their insight on common pet poisons. We asked them three questions and listed the most popular responses. Check out the results below.
- 1. Chocolate. The desire for this sweet treat is not limited to humans. Since chocolate is such a common household food item it is also a common ingestion, especially for dogs. Chocolate toxicity can be mild to severe depending on the dose. The darker or more concentrated the chocolate, the more toxic it is to pets. Symptoms can vary from vomiting and hyperactivity to abnormal heart rhythms and seizures.
- 2. Grapes/raisins, lilies, and sugar-free gum. These three items tied for second place in our staff poll and each are extremely toxic in their own way. Grape, raisin, and even currant toxicities are not necessarily dose-dependent and can result in severe kidney damage sometimes several days after ingestion. Very small amounts of Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show Lilies can cause severe kidney damage or even death to cats. Sugar-free gum is toxic because it contains the artificial sweetener xylitol which can be extremely dangerous to your pet. Xylitol can be found in a variety of mints, vitamins, supplements, and foods so it is important to be diligent and read labels carefully.
- 3. Human medications. A wide range of human medications have the potential to be toxic to pets. However, human aspirin and other NSAIDs can be particularly dangerous especially when owners purposefully give them to pets to attempt to alleviate pain. Pets' kidneys and livers can be damaged easily when dosed with improper medication.
- 1. Pesticides and rat bait. It is never safe to leave your pet unsupervised around any type of pesticide or bait. There are several types of active ingredients that can be severely toxic to pets with varying symptoms.
- 2. Sago Palm tree. All parts of the Sago Palm, but especially the seeds, are very toxic to pets and can cause severe liver damage. Aggressive life-saving treatment should begin immediately upon ingestion.
- 3. Antifreeze. As little as one tablespoon of antifreeze can cause severe acute kidney failure in dogs and as little as one teaspoon can be fatal to cats. Antifreeze is extremely poisonous to pets because it typically contains 95% ethylene glycol.
- 1. Chocolate
- 2. Raisins
- 3. Garbage
- 4. Marijuana
- 5. Dog toys
Saturday, March 18 2017
When you dine out at Yolanda's Mexican Grill on Wednesday, April 26th 2017, 20% of your entire take-out or dine-in bill including alcoholic beverages will be donated to Animal Rescue Volunteers (ARV). ARV is a non-profit rescue group based in Simi Valley, CA. They do a great service to our community by rescuing and rehabilitating pets who are typically abandoned in shelters. Please consider supporting this truly well-organized, exceptional rescue group. Make sure you present this flyer with your order.
Wednesday, March 01 2017 As pets age, the requirements to keep them happy and healthy change. Special consideration should be made for a senior or geriatric pet's diet, exercise, and veterinary care.